Smt. Rajam Saraswathi was a teacher of Mahila Seva Samaja. She founded the school in a rented house called “Wood Bines”. In 1952, the school started with 15 students and only Nursery and Primary Education were offered. In the year 1955, with the help of the Education Department, a Composite School was established. In 1956 the high school section was established. By 1959, the first batch of 14 students appeared for the S.S.L.C Examinations.
The school, later moved to Karanikara Pathashala on Vani Vilas Road in Basavanagudi. The school moved to its own new building in 1986. Between 1986 and 2002, the building was upgraded to have 40 classrooms, a library and an office. WPLS now offers Education right from Lower Kindergarten (LKG) to Class X in both English and Kannada mediums.
WPLS aims at Promoting Peace, understanding & importance of Education amongst the community. The WPLS also aims at undertaking other activities related to this cause. The logo of the school consists of a dove and a book symbolizing the very ideology of WPLS: Promoting Peace & Harmony through Education.
Smt. Rajam Saraswathi started her career as an English teacher at Mahila Seva Samaja School, Shankarapuram, Bangalore with an M.A degree to her credit. She had an unmatched command over the language and was known for her proficiency in the language. She would often express to her colleagues her desire to start a school that would impart Education to especially girls.
This prompted her to visit each and every house in the area of Shankarapuram and expressed her desire to start a school for the needy. She was accompanied by Smt. Santhanamma, a trained nursery teacher & Smt. R. Lakshmidevi, a Hindi teacher. Her dedication and sincerity towards this cause convinced the residents and she started a small unit of Nursery and Primary School in a rented house called “Wood Bines” in Shankarapuram.
She was greatly aided in this task by Smt. R. Kalyanamma, an eminent Educationist and founder of “Makkala Koota”. Together they formed a school Committee,which consisted of Smt. Rajam Saraswathi, Smt. Padma Srinivasan, Smt. ShakuntalaBai Rama Rao, Smt. Sharda Sitaram, Smt. Khaleel, Smt. Kamalamma Mehta and Dr. R. Lakshmidevi. The Commitee comprised of Educated women members- a tradition that continues to be honoured even today.
Smt. Rajam Saraswathi passed away after a brief illness in 1965. Her demise was a huge loss to the school. However, her dream has only grown in size and has been successfully creating a difference in the lives of hundreds of students & women every year.
The name of Smt. R. Kalyanamma is very synonymous in various fields and more particularly in the field of Education, women movement, social activities, Children development, etc.
Smt. Kalyanamma was a house hold name in the Basavangudi locality. Hailing from a traditional family is grew like a Big banyan tree and gave shelter to innumerable number of children for over 6 decades, was instrumental in establishing several educational and philanthropic organization.
1892 Born, 1901 Married, 1903 became widow, 1905 Did Lower Secondary education, 1913 – established Sharada Stree Samaj, Chamarajpet, 1917 – Editor of Saraswathi Bi weekly magazine, 1918 – was awarded Vidya Vinodini Award. 1920 – Editor of Saraswathi Monthly magazine, 1933 – was appointed as Hon. Magistrate, 1935 – Selected as women representative of Karnataka Sahithya Parishat, 1935 – Elected as member of democratic council, 1935 – Elected as Member of Bangalore Town municipality, 1937 – Member Municipal Board, 1937 – Member of Muslim Education committee, 1938 – President of Bangalore Municipality, 1938 – Awarded Golden award for Public service, 1938 – Established Akhila Karnataka Makkalakoota She was the president for 27 long years till her death, During those days she was responsible for conducting of 13 State level conferences for Children. She was also instrumental in establishment of various children organizations across the State. She traversed across the State in the larger interest of the Women welfare and Children development., 1940 – President of Kannada Journalist congregation at the Kannada Sahithya Parishat, 1946 – Committee Member of Ashaktha Pos aka Sabha (Home for destitute – old age home), 1951 – Member of Abalashrama (home for women destitute) 1960 – Congress souvenir committee consultative member, 1965 – the Death of the Legend at the age of 73 years of dedicated life.
Apart from this, she was instrumental in the establishment of other Educational Institutions such as Mahila Seva Samaja, Ashoka Shishu Vihara, Women’s Peace League and etc.
Smt. Padma Srinivasan, a resident of Shankarapuram was interested in Women’s Peace League since 1955. She was also involved in various Institutions for women empowerment.
Smt. Padma Srinivasan has put a lot of efforts for the development of this school and stood by it through its ups and downs. She was a President of Women’s Peace League from 1955 to 1990. She has served many other organisations too. She is the founder of South Indian Women’s Organisation. She has been serving this school after the death of Smt. Rajam Saraswathi. Due to health concerns Smt. Padma Srinivasan had to resign from the President post. But one cannot forget her constant support and service to this school. May her blessings be on this school always.
Gandhian, Theosophist, Educationist, Litterateur & Social Worker.
- Founder Member of The Women’s Peace League. Has served the institution in various capacities since 1954, including as its President from 1991 to 2011.
- Served The Women’s Peace League School as a teacher from its inception in 1954 till retirement in 1977.
- Author of books for children and Novels in Kannada. Has translated books from English & Kannada to Hindi.
- Received “The Hindi Teacher” award from Dakshina Bharath Hindi Prachar Sabha in 1979.
- “Citation and Thamra Pathra” from Riyasath Hindi Prachar Sabha.
- Received award for “Social Service” from Karnataka Hindi Mahila Seva Samithi.
Educationist & Social Worker
- Former Lecturer in Sociology & English.
- Member of the Management Committee of Women’s Peace League from 1997 onwards. Has served as Honorary Treasurer and Vice President.
- Social Worker under the aegis of All India Women’s Conference,(Sion-Wadala-Kurla-Chembur Mahila Mandal Branch)from 1974 to 1992,at Mumbai.
- Served the institution in various capacities as Honorary Treasurer, Secretary & Vice President.
Specialist in Child Psychology
- Member since 1992. Involved in managing the Primary section of the WPL.
- Has worked as a school teacher in WPL in the 1960's and as a child psychologist in Mumbai.
- Well versed in classical music and adept in handicrafts.
Teacher & Writer
- A member for the last 20 years.
- Has been a teacher at the Secondary school level and has served in reputed institutions – The East West School & Parents and Teachers’ Association School.
- Well versed in Classical Music and adept in handicrafts.
- Member since 1999. Responsible for all matters related to legal and administrators matters of WPL.
- Practicing Attorney for more than 33 years. Honorary Treasurer of Karnataka Federation of Women Lawyers from 1991 to 1999.
- Accomplished Bharathanatyam dancer. Has received award on International Women’s day.
- Member of the Managing Committee from 2010.
- Worked in a reputed public sector bank for more than 30 years before superannuation.
Entrepreneur & Litterateur
- Member of the Management Committee and Honorary Treasurer of WPL since 2006.
- Entrepreneur since 1991. Director, Nittoor GreenFields Pvt. Ltd – A Corporate House in the Hospitality Segment.
- Well Versed in Carnatic Music & Gamaka, she is also an avid writer. Her short stories, biographical articles and travelogues are regularly published in popular Kannada publications.
- Was Joint Secretary of Kannadigara Koota, Beasantnagar, Chennai from 2002 to 2005.
- Joint Editor of the WPL School Magazine – “Naidile”
- Member of the WPL Managing Committee since 2009 has been involved in various developmental activities of the school.
- Well versed in music and handicrafts.
- Member of the Managing Committee and Secretary of WPL from 1999.
- Worked as Principal of R.V. Teacher's training College for more than 20 years before superannuation.
- Chairperson of the Examination Board of Karnataka Secondary Education Board in 1990's.
- Has conducted Educational programmes in All India Radio.
- Has received award from Government of Karnataka in 1994 for a project on “Population Education”
Social Worker, Writer & Musicologist
- Has been a member of the Managing Committee since 1965.
- Honorary Treasurer from 1967 to 1996 and former Vice President .
A long standing member of WPL and a former Vice President.
Has held positions in many social and cultural organizations like Veerashava Mahasabha as Vice President, Victoria Hospital Board of Visitors, Kadali Mahila Vedike, etc.
Has conducted projects on socially relevant issues and made presentations to women’s groups and schools on social issues including one on “Old Age Homes” at the “NAIKA” in USA.
- A member since 1992. Has served the managing committee as Vice President.
- Retired from the Government of India as an Accounts Officer.
- Active in social work in several areas.
Professor of Medical Oncology
- Member of the Managing Committee for the last 15 years. Active in healthcare of students and Staff of WPL.
- A gold medal winning meritorious medical student, renowned Professor and respected Medical administrator. Former Superintendent , Kidwai Memorial Hospital.
Has been active in providing medical care to the down trodden.
- Has contributed research articles in reputed medical journals published in India and abroad.
Educationist & Litterateur
- Lecturer in Sociology.
- Member of WPL since 1990. Has served on the Managing Committee including as Vice President. Has been the Editor of the School magazine “Naidile” for the last 15 years.
- Author of books on historical , social themes and Translation to Kannada.
- Has won awards from the Kannada Sahithya Parishath for literary critiques on popular Kannada novels.
- Karnataka State awarded for her book “Namma Kanoonu” in 1986.
Teacher & Social Worker
- A member of the school for the last 20 years.
- Has held several positions in the Inner Wheel Club including District Governor and representative of India in the International Board of Inner wheel club.
- Actively involved in the area of healthcare to the economically downtrodden sections of the society.
- Member of the WPL Managing Committee since 2009.